Skip to main content

Becoming Informed - Disinformation --- Some Good Information on a Cold Cold Day

Someday I am going to be "shack happy" but today is not that day.  The furthest that I ventured today was the side porch to get the newspaper.  It was windy and cold.  It was beautiful out there as well, the sun was bright and the sunrise this morning was absolutely amazing, the colors were a great start to the day.   

I started the day off with a "zoom" call, and spent an hour with people that I really enjoy connecting with and we got some good work done.   I then tried to give my house a little love, putting things away and just "tidy-ing" up!  

I went back to several articles that I had found yesterday about spotting fake news, videos, photos.  I remember when I was in the grade school band, our band director Mr. Tatro always said pictures don't lie -- can't say that any more.  The first article was focused on recognizing altered photos or videos:

How to Use Your Phone to Spot Fake Images  This is a short article, and what I liked was that she laid out questions that get us into more critical thinking, the article focused on pictures being shared regarding the Iran conflict, but the questions and tools will work with any image.   The questions are so simple - when and where was the photo taken, who took the picture,  look closely are there inconsistencies that might be manipulation of an image and I love the last one - why are you receiving this?  I like these reminders that in this incredible time we are in how can we be more discerning.  And then call it out -- let people know that you think it is an altered image!  We can be more active in stopping this - even if it Russia doing it!

Right after I read the fake image article, I got an email update from Minnesota Public Radio,  my former public radio station.  Their article was equally interesting to me,

Disinformation 2020: How to spot faulty news this election year: 

 This article also lays out questions that help to kick in critical thinking as well, if it is too outrageous to be true, guess what it might not be factual!   I appreciated the focus on the election,  I am glad that the free press is helping us in this disinformation because we have an administration that has not taken seriously the gravity of this kind of manipulation in our democratic elections.  Once again the questions are not rocket science - consider the source, who wrote it, is the news current, if an image or video looks fake it probably is (that was not a question, that was a statement), can you find the information elsewhere.  They identified some good resources in the program.  

Please spend a moment and open up the links in this blog.  I find for myself that continuing to reinforce ways for me to be more informed and prepared will be very useful and we move through this election year.   It is already starting out on in almost complete madness and unfortunately I think it will only get worse.

Tomorrow it is going to start warming up,  we may get snow, we may get rain, we may get freezing rain...it is the second week in January anything goes.  I do have to go out of the house tomorrow.  But for today,  I am feeling cozy inside.  I still have my tree up because I love the lights and looking at my precious ornaments.  I will take it down sometime it has only been up since the 23rd of December and I am not ready to let go of my enjoyment yet.  
I am going to watch women's basketball this evening, a very good way for me to continue my "I am not shack happy yet" day.  

 



Comments