Skip to main content

Taking a trip to "the county"




I have been teased, and I have been worried throughout my adult life at the northern trajectory that I have continued to take throughout most of my adult life.  So, there is often a niggling inside as I find myself falling in love with many parts of   Aroostook County  
It really is another step further north.  Beautiful vista's rolling hills, interesting architecture, interesting cultural mix of Native, Nordic and french Canadian.   

This morning we took off North from Patten,  once we were on the highway the car started to not ride right,  the wheels seemed out of alignment and as I went faster it got worse.  Made a quick call to the tire place in Houlton, and we made it safely there.   The car went up on the rack the tires came off for balancing.  They were out of balance and had over 2 inches of dirt/sand/junk in them ---- he water pressured them clean,  got them aligned and the tire pressure right and $28.00 later we were off to Fort Fairfield.

It was a gorgeous day,  blue sky,  bright sun,  no wind.  I have somewhat of the same feeling when up here so far north in the county as I do when driving west from through the prairie.  Big openness,  big sky,  lots of room.  Isolated beauty.

We made it to Fort Fairfield.   The airbnb is ok,  close to where we are going and clean.  Has wifi.  A pretty good bed.  Not much money spent.   Off to Boondocks Grille - good food, lots of snowmobile-rs.   


Then off to Grand Falls, New Brunswick Canada.     The St John River runs alongside Grand Falls,  there is an amazing Gorge there and falls.   You get why the name.   It is a town that has held onto some of its economy,  its tourism and its beauty.  I bought a pair of shoes.  I like knowing that Canada is so close, it provides some comfort for me --- you can guess why.

So tonight for the second time I will go to Canterbury Royale.  A culinary treat.  I will be sure to blog a little more about my evening and the trip back home vis a vis Micmac Farms!  

I am going to enjoy this day, this evening and a beautiful drive home again tomorrow.  I am taking a little break from news and my own sadness about this day.  I am well aware of how grateful I am that I can take a break.  It's Friday, the last day of January 2020.  What a start to the decade!


Comments