Skip to main content

Studying Abroad - From Distant Dreams to Absolute Reality

Myah is "onboard" March 2000,  Sasha is dreaming, studying up and preparing for arrival!
Looking Great and Very Ready!  MSP to Madrid.  Then onto Granada, Spain for the Semester!

This morning I woke up a little before 6 a.m. and a few moments later I got a ping from my cell phone - This picture of Myah at the airport.  Myah is off to Granada,
Spain for a semester of study  at the University of Granada (Universidad de Granada).

This comes the day after the MLK Holiday.  I started yesterday thinking about the man (Martin Luther King, Jr.) and the meaning of having this federal holiday.   I reread the federal legislation establishing this holiday and thought about the kind of resistance that Dr. King advocated, preached and lived.  I had planned to do a little bit of "service" by picking up a friend from work who had no transportation, but as I was manually closing the garage door I got my fingers caught.  No service, no more thinking about Dr. King,  met with what to do about my hand that was rapidly turning blue, shaking and getting bigger and bigger.  Instead of picking up a friend, I had a neighbor drive me to the the xrays ordered by my Doctor!  
I posted  picture on Facebook and got lots of love, good healing thoughts, and exclamations.   

So back to this morning,  I had a very very good sleep.  I woke up and was so grateful that my hand was not throbbing, the swelling had gone down substantially and there was very little bruising.  While I was in that place of gratitude the picture arrived of Myah being sent off on her semester abroad.  I remembered Sasha heading off to college.  She followed me in being the second person in my immediate family to go to college.  I was the first, and unlike my experience of no one thinking that I would go to college (actually I don't think anyone even though about it) Sasha grew up with the expectation that she would go to college, that she would be given the opportunity to learn, grow and gain skills and education to aid her in starting a career and making a living.   She did go to St. Catherine's University.  She got a Bachelor's degree in Nursing, and she is still an amazingly dedicated, creative and very good pediatric nurse today.   And today, she didn't go to work, she went to the airport to send off Child #1 who is not only in college, but is spending a semester in Spain.    I am one very proud and humbled grandmother and mother today.  

These feelings are a good antidote to the heaviness of day one of the Senate Impeachment proceedings.  I am going with being proud of my daughter and granddaughter.  I wish Myah an incredible experience, one that feeds her today and in her life as she goes forward manifesting her hopes and dreams.   Some more really good medicine for the continued healing of my old, strong hand.


Comments