Skip to main content

A New Month


 

I have for a number of weeks driven past a house heading east out of Patten towards Island Falls.  It has for a number of weeks had a sign potatoes and glads....there was a small shed out by the road, but I never saw anyone, and never saw a flower!  Yesterday I stopped on my way back from Island Falls (I had to go to the bank!).  I finally saw buckets of gladiola's, I brought  six home, $6.00.  I now have my birthday bouquet and my glads.  I love that I have flowers on my porch.  They touch a place in me that makes me happy, opens my heart a little, I glance and breathe.  

As I was admiring and breathing I realized that the two spider plants that David gave me last year are still alive.  I told him, "I don't do plants, I kill them".  Well here they are doing quite nicely.  I brought them in for the winter, watered and remembered them.  They thrived.  I was amazed. 


They like the porch, and they like the spaces that I make for them in the house.  I appreciate their green a lot in January and February.  I don't know when they will need to be transplanted, but they look happy right now. 

There are still two Gerber Daisies from Kathy and Steve, I love Gerber's, they make me smile.  They are happy flowers dancing around on their delicate stem.  Then today in my CSA was a bouquet of something beautiful and I put them next to the Gerber's for some companionship.  

 All day these flowers invited little pauses, I was feeling so glad to be surrounded in simple please.  What a gift to have cut flowers in my house, on my porch.  Such an invitation to just take in the beauty.   

In between the pauses I finished packing up most of the summer clothes.  I brought up one bin of winter clothes.   I put the warm clothes away.  I kept a few favorites from summer for what I know will be more warm days, if only warm for part of a day.  

I went to the post office and stopped at Richardson's Greenhouse,  Caroline is making fall wreaths and I stopped by to see if it was ready.  It was.   I have never seen such a beautiful fall arrangement.  More beautiful nature for me in my house.  


My new wreath is hanging on the front door, inside my front porch.  I am glad to have this reminder of the last weeks of summer.  

I have tomatoes, fresh picked corn on the cob, summer squash, micro greens,  scallions and more...the bounty is plentiful.   Amish farm stands, local vegetable farmers, my small farms CSA has provided well.  

The light is still exquisite.  The warmth from today's sun was welcomed and felt so very good.  It was a good porch day.  

It is September.   There is much that is not like any other September 1st.  I am doing what I can.   I am enjoying this day that I have had on my porch.  There will be more.  Maybe even more flowers! 

Comments