Skip to main content

Morning Perspective

 


I often write my blog in the evening, sometimes in the afternoon but seldom if ever in the morning.   Today, as I am enjoying what I feel is "bonus time" on my porch I thought I would bring out my laptop and see what happens as I think about today.   

I have quite a show all around me as I sit on my side porch.  The birds are very loud this morning,  I can see squirrels chasing each other around tree branches, the wind is orchestrating beautiful sounds with the leaves.   It rained last night and the air is still soft, but there is a coolness to the breeze that was not here yesterday.  There are leaves on the ground.  Yellow leaves.  The sun is breaking through every now and then.  

My tea tastes just right and I am marveling at how many leaves turned colors while I slept well last night.  

Earlier this morning I was thinking about the fall harvest,  I am feeling in tune with these seasonal pulls, I keep preparing jars filled with goodies and putting them on the shelves in my basement cellar.  The shelves are almost filled.  My new little freezer is filling up, and I have a big chart hanging on the refrigerator that let's me know what is hanging out there.  

Today I am making a few more batches of roasted applesauce, it really tastes good.  As I keep making all this good food I realized that I have to have a more robust way to share the harvest.  So,  I am going to reach out to a few friends and try to set up a "supper exchange"   we each make a meal and then drop off or have the non-cookers pick up their supper, we have a calendar and we each get a supper exchange several times a month.  Today I will take a meal to my friends on Golden Ridge Road, they are people that I have in my "pod" and we will share a meal together.  

There have been a few friends here who I have shared meals with and feel that it is safe,  my house has been one of the porch places that has allowed us to be outside and enjoy a meal together.  We will have to see what this fall and winter bring to sort out the level of "lock down" we will have to participate in as this virus continues to spread and take lives.   One Million dead around the world and there seems to be no public grief.  The man who holds the presidency with the help of Russia and his pal Putin says it is great, it is great.  Over 200,000 dead in the United States.  

My porch may provide refuge but it does not wall me off from reality.   This afternoon I will do a virtual volunteer training for phone banking for the Maine Democratic party.  I am ambivalent, and I am willing to do what needs to be done.  

It is Tuesday, I think that this is my last of my Small Farms CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) deliveries.  The sun is breaking through the clouds and the breeze is still playing a sweet sound.  The oven is heating up and I am going to "put up" a few more things preparing myself for the winter to come. 



Comments