Skip to main content

Laundry Happiness!

Today my laundry is all done and it is CONSTITUTION DAY!




 The National Constitution Center    

Today is Constitution Day,   and only about 32% of students and adults can name the 3 branches of government - Legislative, Judicial and Executive.  In my idea of a new normal.  Civics classes would be held every year, bringing together current events,  legislative action (local, state, and federal),  how government works.   Since moving to Maine I have had more people tell me than ever how they distrust government and doesn't think it works.  (I think that they are talking about politics - which is not a branch of government).   

What about amendments,  we sure are hearing people take a new and novel take on the first amendment - "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."  Passed by Congress September 25, 1789. Ratified December 15, 1791. The first 10 amendments form the Bill of Rights

Here is some of what the American Constitution Society has to say:

But face-covering requirements are different from other social-distancing measures in this respect: Is a face-covering requirement “forced speech,” or does it violate a right to freedom of expression, to identify with a political position, for example? At least one federal court has rejected this claim. In Koa v. Hogan, a group of military veterans alleged harm from association with capture on the battlefield and “subservience to the captor,” a meaning the court held not to be “overwhelmingly apparent.” More to the point, the court stated, “Requiring necessary protective equipment be worn to engage in certain public activities is simply not the equivalent of mandating expressive conduct.” Face-covering requirements regulate conduct, not speech. The State of Maryland had established a rational basis between the order to cover faces in public areas and the legitimate public interest in protecting citizens against COVID-19. 

I was known (for one thing) as the "manager" who gave staff copies of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.  It is a beautiful thing our constitution, but in order to have a healthy robust democracy we must have an engaged and informed public.   Remember - We The People...that means more than flying a flag, especially if you don't even know the branches of government, forget how the checks and balances have been designed to work.  Fly a flag, don't like government, it's my "right".   I am not saying all people who fly flags have not read or remember anything about our constitution - I am saying flag display is not enough of an action to preserve and help our democracy grow.  You know the part about forming a more perfect union. 

So, I enjoyed a little time on the NCC interactive site today.   The last worker left my house at 8 a.m this morning after putting the bathroom door back on the frame.  A month+ without a door.  The new flooring is all in place.   The washer and dryer work and I have done ALL the laundry in the house!

It is almost 2 pm and gray, hazy sky has opened up into a sweet blue and the sun is shining.  We have frost warnings for tonight.  I hope they are wrong.  

I have chicken soup and keema cooking on the stove.  My dining room table is cleared off, it sure is a magnet in the way my old table was not!  

I am noticing and enjoying the shift of season.  I am heartened by my dip back into the constitution and my hope that civics will prevail once again.   

Comments