Skip to main content

Friday in Lubec

I am spending this week on Pleasant Street, just around the corner from Dewey-Mowry.  I do think that there is Mowry Street, but I did not walk over that way today.  I have absolutely no connection to my father's family.  I have talked to one cousin, who was also estranged from the family for a number of years, but she knew not much more than my nothing.   Last year when I discovered Mowry Preserve, beach, street with my dear friend Marcia and her daughter Mona I felt like somehow I had found some way to build a story around my ancestral home.  It is fun to have found this very special coastal place.  

This is morning i spent a couple of hours walking the beach.   The fog when in and out.  The lighthouse came and went.  The sun burned through the clouds only to be hidden once more.   The waves swelled in and out.  The tide was somewhere in the middle moving towards a high tide.  I walked away from the narrows and along the Lubec channel towards West Quoddy.  

 I could hear lobster boats coming closer in, but could not see them through the fog.  I found a few pieces of sea glass, some precious stones, and brightly colored shells.  The shore changed from big rocks that you had to pay attention to while you traversed forward.   Sandy areas with very smooth rocks,  sandy areas where many shells have been swept up to shore.  There were tire tracks at the beginning of my walk,  these are clam flats and I am imagining bringing clams to sell.  The coast seems to be constantly changing while often the same, it is predictable until it is not.  Waves moving in and out.  Tides pulling the water. 

I like these wild shores.  More rugged,  fewer people,  Canada so very close.  I like being on the most eastern point of the United States.   I liked and needed this coast hike.  Glad that I will have more.  I have a long list of places to hike,  to visit,  to spend time.   I am so happy to be eating someone else's cooking.  There are good take out options here! 
 


It is Friday.  I am aware of the latest "you can't make this sh_t up" of trump.  I know that the number of people infected by the "millinocket wedding" continues to rise.  I know that black people continue to be killed at the hands of police.  I carry that all with me as I walk along the shore.  As I notice the wonder around me.  We can't lose the ability to notice the beauty.  To find some modicum of peace.  To understand that we are all interconnected.  All of it. 

... and the international bridge has moved back in place and the seals are enjoying their mackerel.

Comments