Skip to main content

Shorebird Migration South

 

The Semipalmated Sandpipers do not know that there is a global pandemic.  The adults are here, mostly the mothers, the juveniles and other adults will be arriving soon.  The Cormorants are also here. There are also a small seagull type bird who arrived this week because some winged insect hatches have started and the gulls eat the hatches that are at just a certain space in the air.  

 I had no idea that I was staying in Lubec at a time when thousands of migratory birds were making a stop before doing their next leg south.  It brought me hope.  The birds and the harbor seals continue their annual rituals.  For many years I have found that this time of year is one of favorite get away times.  I have gone to the North Shore of Lake Superior,  Stout's Island Lodge on the Island of Happy Days, Stonington-Mystic Connecticut, Lubec and sometimes "camp".   These are all places that I have gone to soak in the change of season,  to slow down, to soothe my soul.  This pilgrimage no different.  After two nights of sleep with the smell of the ocean seeping in through the windows, I feel a different kind of rest.  

There is an expansiveness that comes from the water, from the history, from the surprises and the familiars.   I was happy to share one of my "happy places" with Ellen and Ray,  who drove up from Trenton, ME where they are at a very fine RV park for the month.   They arrived right at noon.  They were ready for lunch and I heated up the haddock chowder that I had made last night, and once done I put in the refrigerator to steep overnight.  I made a delightful salad with  goodies I had bought earlier in the morning at the farmer's market.  Micro-greens,  dragon tooth beans,  french breakfast radishes, scallions, and fresh chevre with a little sea salt and then a squeeze of lemon juice over it all.  

It was a great success, Ray said my chowder was even better than his.  We ate on the deck, distanced, enjoying watching the seals,  the birds, the tide going out along the narrows and into the Lubec Channel.  

 

 

After lunch we along the shore and ended our walk at the Schoodic carving.  There we began to see more and more of the seals, cormorants, the sandpipers, they were all mesmerizing.  Stomachs full,  sun shining,  bright blue sky with a few puff clouds floating slowly along - couldn't ask for a better day.  

Ray went back to the deck for a little afternoon snooze and Ellen and I walked downtown.  I had walked down Water Street earlier in the day.  I stopped and bought goodies at the farmer's market and went down to the jetty to see if I could find my way onto the international waters.


I ignored the DANGER KEEP OUT sign and walked the pathway out towards the Bay,  I don't really know if I stepped across to Canada or not, I didn't really know that the white triangle signified, was I really in international waters, it didn't really seem far enough off shore.  But I liked imagining that I stepped over the line, defying the reality for one little millisecond.   So I felt just a little mischievous as I walked back to my little home away loft.  



 What a fine day.  Ellen took many photo's and I am going to love seeing what she captured on our afternoon together.   It was a good day.  I feel full up of so many good things.  

It is Saturday.  Less than 2 months until election day.  I am hopeful.  I am enjoying this place where I can just be present.  For it all.  For the migration.  For the fresh bounty.  For the ever changing and same tides. For now,  I am full up with it all. 

Comments