Skip to main content

A Soft Day, a Little Rain

 Monday brought a hint of rain and more warmth.  It is almost tropical here, not a climate one evokes when thinking of Maine.  It allows me another delightful porch time in between my errands and tasks!  All of this with more and more color surrounding me.  





Even in enjoying the soft, moist warmth of the day, I was restless.  I was up and down all night long,  not feeling well, and it was early this morning when I began to feel better.  So the day had a tug of sleeplessness and the omnipresent worry that are these days.  

I took to roasting again.  This time apples.  I found an inviting Italian recipe for roasted applesauce and I roasted an entire baking sheet of apples.  The applesauce is delicious and I will make another batch to freeze tomorrow.  

Then I took a nap,  it was just right for napping.  The softness in the air seemed to be like a blanket and I slept long and hard, and awoke with a fun dream just dancing at the edge of my consciousness.  

I made a cup of mint tea and  candied raw/roasted pumpkin seeds for a winter salad that I am planning to bring to Candy and Don's tomorrow.  Candy had broken her elbow and I am delivering supper.  Scalloped potatoes and ham,  a winter salad,  fresh green beans and roasted applesauce.  It is a fun and rare thing to be able to cook for someone these days.  

I am glad that I have found at least perseverance and at best delight in cooking for myself.   Today I used one of the last fresh tomatoes I have in the house (I may get more on Wednesday just because I can't let go of the taste of a really good heirloom tomato!) and made myself a BLT.   Oh it was good.   I could eat on the porch.  It was warm.  Just a few minutes of rain on and off.   The smell of apples baking,  the release of aroma from the pumpkin seeds, then throwing sugar into the skillet and watching it turn brown and swirling the seeds and some flake kosher salt around.   Opening a jar of vegetable soup from last year's harvest.  

 All comforting amidst the swirl of far away and also so very close.  It is Monday.  I have things to be done everyday but not too much.   I am moderating the amount of news I watch.  I have finished watching "The Girls from Ipanema"  and am getting good recommendations for my next series that can be available to me for binging if needed.  

I got a great gift in the mail today and I am wearing them right now.  Here's a good end to a sweet, soft day.


 THANK YOU DAWN!

Comments