Skip to main content

Savoring Lubec

 I have spent this past week looking out to the east from my loft windows and deck, at one of the Schoodic sculptures.  Public art is so precious and nourishing and I will take home my memories of this sculpture sharing the shore with the Narrows, in the Lubec Channel. 


"Five sculpture Symposia from 2007 to 2014 resulted in a world class collection of large granite works of art that make up the new Sculpture Trail of Maine. The Schoodic International Sculpture Symposium was an artist in residency program that gave sculptors from Maine and around the world the chance to focus on a single piece of public art created in Maine granite. The six-week symposia provided a stipend, materials and technical support to each artist, in a communal working space open to the public. The finished works are now part of an outdoor collection that spreads throughout the region. The project was supported through donations from the local communities, general fundraising, grants, and in kind support."  schoodic sculpture




This mornings low tide beckoned and I put on my water shoes, my vest and mask and headed off to Mowry beach.  It was the lowest tide that I had seen since I arrived.  The men were way, way out on the flats of the channel clamming.  I was so intrigued,  I have never really watched digging of clams, and I laughed as I watched the men, backs bents moving along finding the clams as the colonies of gulls swarmed above and landed to get their share.  I was amazed how far out I was walking from what was the "shore" last time I was at the beach.  Now we are two hours past high tide, and the fog has just rolled in bringing a cool soft feeling to what has been a warm and sunny afternoon.   There was soft a palpable and pleasant softness to the day,  the temperature in the high 60's and low 70's the sun warm, not hot, and just a touch of moisture in the air.  Now, what had just been wisps of fog have now turned into a blanket, hiding the channel, the water, the bridge.  

I spent some time away from the beach,  walking through the most historic cemetery across from Johnson Bay.  I had planned to walk the cemetery and then go to the historical society.  When I arrived at the door of the historical society, I realized it was closing in just  few minutes. 



The volunteers were friendly and let me take a quick look - the building was once the general store and the exhibits are well laid out, engaging and I could have spent a long time really taking in the story that they were telling their visitors about Lubec and it's history.   It was a fun little bit of time travels.  The setting beautiful right at the edge of Johnson Bay.  I will return for a much longer trip next summer.  

At this time tomorrow I will be home.  No tides.  Instead the sounds of the breeze moving through the trees.  The sound of horse hoofs on the street as a team of young boys travel to do work.  The pleasure of being on my porch.  These all wait for me.  I am glad to return home and I am really happy that I found a way to feel safe away from home.

The light is leaving earlier and earlier each day.  We are moving toward the equinox, and then to the darkest of days.  In Canada it is an hour later, Altantic Time,  I would like to be on Atlantic time,  I don't like to have it dark at 4 pm.  But for now I will enjoy the last light of the day, in the town that has the first light in the United States.  

It is Wednesday, the middle of the week.  My last day in Lubec for this trip.  I will be back, soon. 

Comments