Skip to main content

It's More than Ball!


 I am a really big women's basketball fan.   This spring I missed my almost annual trip to the NCAA Women's Final Four in New Orleans.  My love of women's basketball began in Madison, WI at the University of Wisconsin.  I was not a sports person in any way as a kid or in high school.  I did performing arts and so did my brother.  But in my mid-late twenties after moving to Madison to go to college (with a two year old, a lesbian lover, and being the first person in my family to go to college) to go to the University I found women's sports.  This was 1976, there were lots of lesbians playing and being fans for the women's teams and I found that I loved the game of basketball.   In 1978, I took a part time job working with a team of women who were writing a curriculum for the implementation of Title IX.   

"Title IX is a federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity1. ... We are committed to creating and fostering a campus environment free from all forms of sex discrimination."

Women's basketball was a microcosm for me of the inherent value and promise of Title IX.  My understanding and love of the game of basketball grew, and my thinking about access to the world of athletics blossomed.  I was so deeply committed to the equity for girls and women in the world of sports, in classroom academics, in cultural and other programs offered in and through schools. 

I knew that this shift of funding, beliefs and culture would not only make a difference in the lives of women but also in the world.

Fast forward to summer of 2020.  A lifeline that fuels my passion, allows me an escape, and provides great entertainment is the WNBA Season.  The women's team is a "wubble" (a women's bubble) in Florida.  There have been zero, no, covid infections throughout the season which is about two-thirds completed.    

The women of the WNBA, players, coaches, support staff all exemplify the vision of Title IX,  they are not only playing the sport they love, they are incredible activists - good stewards of community - leaders in social justice.   This season is dedicated to racial and social justice.  "Say Her Name" campaign started by the African American Policy Institute is being supported by all players and teams and "Black Lives Matter" is emboldened on all the warm up shirts.  And they have played great ball.  And they let us the fans know that they are more than just "ballers".  

So my team, the Minnesota Lynx, have just clinched a playoff spot for the 10th consecutive year.  If you have not clicked on the video above, let me introduce you to Crystal Dangerfield.  She is rookie,  drafted in the second round (what a steal we got), a graduate from Connecticut.   She is the rookie of the month and on track to the rookie of the year.   She is 5' 3" - that is right  5' 3", and that might be a stretch.  She jumps like she has pogo sticks on her legs.  She is like a gnat on the court.  She just runs under and through the big trees.   She is so fun to watch.  The entire team is fun,  all the games are good, and I have watched just about every game of this shortened season.  

It has been a little lifeline, something that is the same, a WNBA season.  I am not traveling to CT to see the Lynx,  I did not get to be at opening games of the season in MN, but I am watching on television,  on Facebook Live, on the WNBA League Pass.   We are moving quickly towards the playoffs....MN is in the 4th spot, and I am rooting for them to stay there or higher - want them to have some "byes"....but more about that later.

It is Wednesday.  The flowers are still beautiful.  The light still fine.  The Lynx are playing the Chicago Sky and I will be watching.  Cheering loudly.  They are on Facebook Live - check them out. 


 

 

Lily Tomlin's 81st Birthday today.

Comments

Unknown said…
I've had girlfriends who were ballers since middle school (mid 1970s) and never even thought it was unusual to support them - thanks for blazing the trail that made this and so much more possible! Go Lynx!