Skip to main content

Weekend Edition

What a weekend, warm breezes,  leaves turning colors so fast you can almost watch them turn, and reaping the joys of the fall harvest. 

 


Yesterday I decided to drive up to "the county" of course the county is really only about a mile away from my house, but I decided to go to the farmer's market in Houlton and then drive US 1 to Presque Isle and visit the Micmac Farms and buy some trout.  The bonus of the drive - fall foliage which is almost at peak here in the north end!  The sun was shining, the sky blue and the colors were great.  I got to visit with Roz and Fred and Tessa at the market.  I picked up my Rosie the Riveter mask and headed for Presque Isle.   I plugged Micmac Farms into my google maps and off I went...there was great color and I got to see one planet before my plan was upended.  My gps was re-routing off of 1 and taking me south and east,  I was needing to go north and west.  After this re-routing I drove maybe another 5-10 miles, not sure....then I could see the back up of cars, and all of sudden State Police cars were speeding by...I turned around and headed back towards Houlton deciding to take back roads home.  I mourned not getting any trout, but knew the colors would be great and well worth the ride.  

Every time I  was at a spot where I was like, wow, here is a picture - I was at a curve,  or very little room to pull off on a hill, or it just didn't seem safe to pull off.  So I have to leave you with your own imagination about wonderful fall colors.  More pics will come in the next days, but not from the ride yesterday.


I found myself heading towards the Amish Store - Pioneer Place.  I bought a big stainless steel bowl and a small bushel of roma tomatoes.  Headed home, and started roasting.  The oven went all night and I have a the last batch in the oven as I type.  I froze some and put some in olive oil.  I am hoping that I don't get any more ideas for one more batch of something.  I do have some apples that still need tending and I am thinking about roasting them and making applesauce ( I found a very intriguing Italian recipe) I think that is my job for tomorrow! 

 

I started my day with the YouTube service for my UU Church in Houlton, then we "zoomed" afterwards.  I am grateful for my UU community.  I miss not getting their hugs, and being in the same space, regardless Rev Dave and the Board have made remarkable efforts to keep us together as a community and to provide ways for us to support each other during this time.  A good way to start my Sunday to end/begin my week.    

The kitchen was full of tomatoes that were roasted and needed to be roasted.  The porch was delightful.  The day was so warm, the breeze felt almost tropical ( a rare occurrence here).  I could step away from my fear, from my disgust, from the burden of the daily assault.  I know that there are many people who have no porch for refuge, I want us all to find a place for moments of peace, of gratitude and grace.  A place to recharge and center for the ongoing and necessary work, the good trouble.

This week I get trained for phone banking and who knows what else for the Maine Democratic Party.  I get my refresher training for my shift at the Millinocket Memorial Library when it opens next week.  I will be on 10-2 on Fridays.  I am bringing supper to my friends Candy and Don.  There are things that I can do.  They are small, they do make a difference.

I  have just watched my two favorite WNBA teams on the television today.  The Connecticut Sun lost their semi-final game and they are now tied with Las Vegas, they play their last game of the series on Tuesday night.  My dear Minnesota Lynx lost their 3rd semi-final game to the Seattle Storm, they are going home.  They had a season no one expected, they did good and I am sorry that they could not pull out a win.  

It is Sunday, the early evening is so very still.  There is still warmth in the air.  I still feel a little big of peace.  I'll take any of it I can get.  The election happens in 37 days, yes 37 days.  Make your plan to vote.  Vote.  Vote.  It makes a difference, a big difference.  Be counted.  Democracy counts. 

 

Comments