Skip to main content

It's Not A Blizzard - But Close - Yep - Snow Day May 9, 2020

 This was the view a number of hours ago.  I am not taking any more pictures of the snow.  I have shoveled off the back porch and stairs several times.  The snow is heavy,  it is just keeps coming down and the wind is really whipping out there.

Yes, life in Maine in May.   So there really is not much difference between a snow day and a pandemic day.   I am inside.

I did do Tai Chi practice.   I worked on another small collage.  I picked up my knitting, made a mistake and ripped out three rows and am starting over again.  

I looked through some photo's and found a classic 1980's pic of Sasha and I, we kind of look like the Bobbsie Twins!  I can't even imagine what I was thinking and that Sasha
was game is equally amazing.  

I am going to post a picture tomorrow of my Mom with my brother and I in what I think is the only professional photograph of the three of us.  

Meanwhile, it just keeps snowing.  The wind just keeps blowing.  And I am going to try to do some reading of the book from my newly joined UU - Houlton Book Club,  the book is All Standing, by Kathryn MIles, it is the story of the Jeanie Johnston the Irish Famine Ship.  I have not yet found any comfort about reading about another time of natural tragedy, discrimination and the human will.   But I continue to read on.   
It has been disconcerting, but my ability to sit and read has not been very good.  Somehow when I read, I get unsettled.  I love those days and moments especially in the summer where you can just lose yourself in a book.   Either I am already too lost, or I haven't yet picked up the right book, but I have a large stack of books that I was hoping to have read and I have not done a very good job of it.

I have done a little binging on Netflix - Marcella a British detective series with a female protagonist has kept me occupied at times.  I do return to the Chef's Table, there are just a few episodes I haven't watched, so I am catching up, and re-watching  some of my favorites.  I finished Frankie and Grace, so no more of those.  Unbelievable was good and tragic.  Unorthodox was also good and tragic.   I wish I liked comedies, but I don't really.  I did like Julie and Julia.  There may be some Orange is the New Black that I haven't seen.  
 Tomorrow I will watch the last available episode of Outlander,  I don't know how I got hooked on it, but I am (don't judge).

Having listed all of these, I think it is a good time to say that I am so glad to be reading The Atlantic Magazine, I have been going back and reading essays from the 1619 Project,  prompted by Nikole Hannah-Jones winning a Pulitzer Prize.  I appreciate that I have several friends that regularly send me great articles to read.  

I seem to be able to get through an article easier than a chapter in a book.  And with that acknowledgement I am going off to the kitchen make some popcorn and sit down and watch Hollywood.  

A little Saturday night escape.  A diversion from the snow.  A a good way to pass the time on another weekend in the age of this pandemic.  

Stay safe, Be Well.   

Comments

BrianJ said…
MAM-I hear you about reading! When we began quarantine, I started about 12 books; I couldn't get comfortable, couldn't concentrate. As I stopped watching so much news, and as this has dragged out, I have gotten better. Read a fascinating bio of Orson Welles (did you know he was from Wisconsin)? And am now reading a bio of Cecil Beaton. I was afraid I'd never read a book again because I couldn't concentrate. I googled this phenomenon, and discovered many, many people were having the same difficulties. Stay strong! It will get better!