Skip to main content

The Stories a Picture Holds


I had earlier said I would post the picture of my Mom, my brother Bob and myself as a memory of my Mother for Mother's Day.  
 
I have absolutely no memory of going to get our pictures taken.  I think this was probably taken in 1956 or '57.  I do remember getting my "Tonnette"  permanent.  It would burn my scalp, I hated it, and my Mother was hellbent that both her and I would have unnaturally curly hair.  I did have a friend point out that the "cut-outs" on my dress are quite fashionable today.    I do remember that dress, it was very very fancy, and it was NOT scratchy.  The look on my brother's face is not one I remember either.  He almost always had a smile on his face or at least a look that was somewhat mischievous.   
 
This picture was taken when my Mom, Bob and I lived with my grandparents, my Mom's Mother and Father.  We were all in one bedroom and my brother and I slept in the bottom bunk, one on each end of the bed, and my Mom slept in the top bunk.  I remember her breaking her toe when she fell out of the bed.  It was very sad.  
 
Life was good living in the top flat of our up and down two flat.   Eleanor and "Moon"  lived below and were like extra grandparents to Bobby and I.  Having no father in the picture and a Mother that was divorced was not anywhere close to something within a norm.  Life was not good before we moved to live with our grandparents and I was very aware of the burden that my Mother bore.   
 
I don't know what motivated having this picture taken.  I am sure that it represented that we were a whole and beautiful family.   It must have been so hard for my Mom to have to move back home with her parents, of course Bobby and I loved being with them.  
 
This Mother's Day in the midst of the snow and the cold I felt lots of love and care for my Mother who sacrificed so much to make sure we were safe.   
 
Life got better for her.  She found love again.  Made more babies.  Had good friends.  Learned how to drive a car.  Went to work.  Had  good life.  
 
She left this world too young.  Seventy-two years old.   She would be 88 years old now.  I am sure her spirit soars.   
 
Oh, the memories that one found colorized photograph can tap.  Oh cherish the memories, they are a blessing.  

Comments