Skip to main content

Sky Kitchen Spring Colors Galore



There is a lot of snow on that mountain.  It seemed like there was more snow today than last week.  I took my weekly trip to the spring today. Was so happy that the sun was out, there was NO snow, only the wind continued to blow and blow.  We are still struggling to get the buds to open on the bushes, and there is just the slightest tinge of a spring color to the tree branches.  It makes me so happy to pull up to the spring and see the sweet little sign swinging in the breeze.  Spring on one side - Summer, Fall, Winter on the other side.  Someone with humor made that sign.   I like that it is a sure chuckle and big smile maker for me.  I need some of those sure signs to bring out a smile.
 


There is the beginning of green peaking out from under the winter blanket.   Today was the first day that I had to wait while someone else filled up their big jugs with water, it brought out another laugh, waiting in line for spring water!  Life in Northern Maine.  I filled up my jugs and headed back home.  Water, smiles, laughter, sun and blue sky.  

When home I started the process of transforming the former door to window in the kitchen.   Yesterday, David brought my curtains which he has so excellently sewed.   The picture to the right is while the Coastal Blue Chalk paint was still wet.  I had just removed the drop down shelf.  I am putting a bigger drop down shelf in but that is waiting a few days.  The shelf will take several coats of paint, which will be in bumble bee yellow enamel. 

This picture shows the finished cookbook shelf.  I like how it looks.  I am learning how to work with chalk paint, and I had a fun time using sandpaper after it was try to get a little distressed look.  

The next stage is painting the new shelf and painting the window frame and sill.  I will put the second coat on the shelf and do the window tomorrow.  I love the yellow paint and the way the two colors and finishes play off of each other.

What I appreciate even more is that I felt motivated to do this right now.   I have not felt able, ready, not sure what words to use, to tackle projects.  Part pandemic, part cold, part snow, part who knows what.  
I am going to celebrate each step I take.  Have appreciation for each row I have knitted, each chapter I have read.   The house is mostly in order.  The porch is crying out for attention and I think that several warm days will pull me out there to make ready my summer "happy place".  

I have most of my "kitchen garden" containers ready to be dropped off at Richardson's Greenhouse.  I will drop them off on Friday.  That is going to be a really big smile day when I get to bring my kitchen garden home.  
I am seeing a few of the perennials that I planted last summer peaking up (now that they are not buried in snow) and I will be excited to see what comes up over the next few weeks.  

In between painting and going to the spring I had my weekly Immunity Tai-Chi class.  I really like my class,  I am so happy that my BFF Lonnie is also taking the class with me.  She is in Philadelphia,  I am in Patten,  the teacher is outside Houlton, and most of the rest of the class is either in Canada or Aroostook County.  How fun to be doing this international zooming.  Building immunity,  strength, balance and friendships. 

 I also got another call to assist in my role as a "responder" for Mobilize Katahdin.   Working on getting groceries delivered to a family - it will happen tomorrow.  Feels good to help.   Glad that there are resources here that we have mobilized, and that we can make sure that "help is on the way".

As I finish up this blog,  the sun is still shining, the wind is still blowing and I am ready to knit a few more rows!   It is midweek.  Tomorrow we are supposed to have temperatures into the 60's.  I am not letting myself get excited yet,  but I will be doing a happy dance if this is true.  It is sure something good to look forward to. 

 

Comments