Skip to main content

May Day Delight, Deep Sadness and A New Day

The Incredible Work of Paul Cyr - The County's Finest!


I seem to be moving into an every other day mode.  I had thought about what to blog yesterday on and off during the day.  I have a day that was full of little spurts of fun interspersed with tasks and interrupted moments.

I woke up with the memories of May Day baskets,  skipping around a May Pole, May Day Parades Celebrating Workers all of this while I listened to the rain falling on the roof.  The sky was so very grey.  

I had just had several very big bags of Poppin' Joe's Popcorn delivered, I was not quite sure what I was going to do with all that popcorn and then...May Day Baskets!   I went into my stash of very large sized, colored paper and found myself making cones, beautiful colored cones.  I filled each one with popcorn.   Wrapped each one up in a plastic tie bag.   And just like those little baskets of flowers dropped off on the handle of the front door.  

It was fun to channel that six year old girl living in DeKalb, Illinois with her Gramma, Grampa, Mom and brother Bob.  That is my last memory of may day baskets and may poles.  But as I went from house to house and store to store - leaving my plastic bag protecting my cone shaped basket of delight - I was caught in the fun of it all.   

My baskets were not a secret, but I know that people were delighted.  What a moment of cheer in this pause, in this first day of May that was dreary and wet.

"The tradition of celebrating May Day by dancing and singing around a maypole, tied with colorful ribbons, is still practiced today. Another European tradition that survived is hanging May baskets on doorknobs. People make small baskets filled with treats or flowers to give secretly to friends and neighbors."


The rest of the day was spent with errands, a long and good zoom meeting.  For the first time Mt. Chase Lodge delivered a meal.  What a treat.  A beautifully colored brown bag, with a great meal,  fine salad, and lots of love.  A very appreciative start to the new month.

May a time for fiddleheads, aspargus, ramps.  The opening of Richardson's greenhouse.  An email announcing that the Clam Shack will open in May 21st.  May bringing a little bit of expansion to the constriction sometimes felt in this pause.

The end of the May Day brought news that my friends Mother, who is ninety years old, in a very very excellent facility in Houston, was having very troubling symptoms nine days after she tested positive for Covid-19.  So devastating because just the night before Jackie was feeling so upbeat that her Mom, (aka the energizer bunny) was gong to pull through.   (Today she seems to be a little better but it is so clear that no one knows).   The reality of this virus,  the separation, the absolute and total powerlessness.  All a weight of the magnitude of what is happening focused in on my friend the daughter and her mother.  

I went to bed heavy hearted.  It was a dreamless night.

Today started with big winds,  clouds that scattered and opened up to a blue sky and bright sun.  

A social distance outing with a friend.   A trip to Golden Ridge road to go to the basket weaving Amish farmstand.  Then off to Ada's where unfortunately the donuts were all sold out.  Then off to Candy's house to pick out some of her beautiful cards.  

All social distancing, all with our face coverings and just enjoying sharing with a friend.  Taking in the vista's and views.  Seeing just a touch of green starting to peek out of pastures.  Small pleasures and a gift of just being present.  

The kindling of being able to look a little bit ahead.  Allowing myself to envision the soon to be here warmth.  Picking out plants for the kitchen garden boxes,  the container plants, and the revival of the plantings along the front of the house.

A new month,  a deepening into spring.  Winter is losing it's place. The sun is winning once again.  Jackie's Mom is not in so much distress today.  A good day.  A big happiness of my home.  

Be safe, be well.  It is Saturday night!

 

Comments