Skip to main content

The rain has come!

As I start this blog while sitting on my porch, the rain has just started to fall.  I can hear the rain drops on the metal roof of the garage.  The thunder is rolling and there is a breeze that is bringing some cooler air onto the porch.

It has been a day of much activity on the home front,  the Misfits Market box arrived with a whole lot of goodies,  I had my morning Tai Chi class, and then I spaced out my afternoon class.  I did go and get water from the spring.  Stopped by Mt. Chase Lodge and left a little birthday present for Lindsay.  Bought some fiddleheads from our little farm stand on Mt. Chase Road.  Dropped off some of my applesauce for the new teacher's baskets that are being put together.  Whew....

I seemed to have gotten a whole lot of phone calls today.  Lots of activity.  Emails, texts, phone calls.  But I did manage a little nap. 

Lots to process,  Larry Kramer's death -- The Normal Heart, Gay Men's Health Crisis, ACT UP --- he taught me things about anger.  He cried out loudly, obscenely, constantly -- and he died of pneumonia.  He was 84 years, his anger fueled him and spurred many to do something if only to get him out of their face.  He stood up.  Makes me wonder who the Larry Kramer will be in this pandemic. 

Meanwhile, we crossed the milestone of 100,000  deaths from corona virus.  So many deaths,  such grief, such a shame on our country's response.  We can't even agree that knowledge is evolving, that wearing a mask and social distancing is the least we can do, and that people should not be shamed because they wear a mask in public.  

The death of George Floyd.  Senseless,  such a broken broken system that allows those who are there to protect,  have become leaders in showing the horror of institutional racism and devaluing some people's lives over others.  My heart breaks. 

All of this weaving in and out for me today.  And yet there is joy and hope and future.  

Today was  Luke's Graduation Day.   We should all have been together celebrating.  We have all celebrated with him in some small ways today.  This Pride CDH sign was the first of the pics that Sasha sent to me.
 It warmed my heart that she sent a Cretin Derham Hall pride pic to start the photo's that would continue to fill my message box throughout the day.
 The school has a number of outdoor places set aside for picture taking.  Here is Luke a the "where you graduate" sign.
 Then it was off to his Lacrosse team photo op.
Then little brother and big sister together on the steps of the cathedral.  Hopefully we will all be there on August 2nd to have Luke's graduation.  More to come on if that is something that can really happen.   But for today Luke is having a good time with family.  They will be having an outside gathering, a few people just stopping by.   I talked to Luke yesterday about what would be something fun that he would like - cupcakes.  I ordered them yesterday and Myah picked them up.   Luke gets to have cupcakes that he can eat  all week. 
What a day,  the rain has started again,  it is cooling off.  The sky is grey.  The thunder is rolling.  It is Wednesday, the last Wednesday in May.  I am ready to go inside and make some later supper.  Eat some fiddleheads.  I am hoping that tomorrow is not so busy.  Meanwhile Luke get's to eat cake! 

Comments