Skip to main content

More Snow - Another Genocide




It pains me to even type the word snow again, and if I was reading this blog I might be sick of hearing about more SNOW.  Why does she live in this place anyway?  

Yes,  there was more snow, and what was worse was that it was so very cold today.   I had a case of white wine delivered from a small, special vineyard in Northern California and the good news is that the wine is quite happy on the porch.  So there was a silver lining in what by all accounts was a very cold day in mid May.  There seems like there will be a little relief on Thursday from this cold, and maybe just maybe next week will bring warmer weather.  

 Despite the cold, and the dreary, snowy weather, the inside of my house was warm and things were getting done.   All day I had my big stock pot bubbling on the stove.  The lobsters that I cooked on Mother's Day now provided the base for lobster stock.  I sauteed the shells in butter and then added carrots, celeriac, garlic and onions.  Oh, the smell was so good and as the pot boiled all the windows steamed up in the house and I could not see the snow.  A win win.  I know have a very small amount of very very concentrated stock still simmering on the back burner of the stove.  It is going to be such a treat when I take it out of the freezer one day to make...well I don't know yet, but I will.  Someday.

David came with the finished curtains for the kitchen.  They look great.  Change the whole feel of the kitchen.   I have pulled out the enamel bumblebee yellow and the coastal blue chalk paint and will start painting the area where the door was taken out, and the window was put in along with a little shelf for my special cookbooks.    Pictures will come but not until I get it done.    David is going to make one additional window covering piece for both windows, they will get done next week.  We decided that there needed to be valance at the top of both windows.  

It is good for me to be making these steps,  to get into a little bit of a spring cleaning flow.  I am grateful that David was willing to pitch in and make the very best curtains from the material that I picked out earlier this year.  

I have also been able to knit and read more.  I am knitting the sweetest little baby cardigan with twists and cables, it is going to look really fine on one of those babies that are being born in our region.   I also have been reading chapter after chapter of my UU Book Club - All Standing.  It is not a cheery book,  it is the story of the massive immigration disaster from the famine in Ireland.  The story of colonization and exploitation is an old, old and horrific story.   The white northern European history of devaluing others, and seeing people, countries as a value only to them for what they can provide at all costs.   The story of the people who immigrated from Ireland to Canada and the US during this time is riveting and devastating.   Knowing and remembering this history is important and informative,  Kathryn Miles is a good author and the story is compelling.    I have another mindless, feel good book on my kindle!  

I am grateful that I find I can sit and read for more than a few minutes at a time.  I like the progress that I am making on my little baby sweater.  I am glad that I am envisioning the colors and the ways in which I am making my kitchen an even sweeter place to cook and be than it is today.

As I type these final words, the snow has stopped.   The sunset is so very very beautiful.  Pink, melon, orange and purple colors on the horizon.  What a treat to the end of the daylight for today.    

I am hoping that there will be NO snow tomorrow.  We can only hope.

 

Comments