Skip to main content

1st Day of Spring 2018

Today is the day when there is equal day and night, the vernal equinox.  Eggs, rabbits, flowers, seeds, cleaning, and planting all are parts of the rituals and celebrations of spring.  Spring feels and looks different even for us in the northern hemisphere.  What is not different for us, is the light.  The sun rises earlier and sets later, it is higher in the sky.  You can begin again to feel the warmth.

Modern-day druids massed at Stonehenge in England to celebrate the spring equinox. They were granted special access to the ancient monument to mark the day when the length of the day and the night are equal.  Zoroastrians carry hyacinths as a part of their spring celebrations.  There are rituals and celebrations happening around the world.  In Austria they do a ritual where they literally burn winter away, I am sure that particular ritual would be much embraced by my friends in Maine and Minnesota.

Because I left Millinocket before the official 1st day of spring, I began my spring cleaning a few weeks ago.  I will be back in Maine the first part of June so winter things got put away, I did some sorting and tossing and put the heaviest blankets and comforters away.  It felt good and I liked the feeling of knowing that someday it would not be frigidly cold in Millinocket. The imagining of spring and the coming of summer.  Planting the seeds of another season.

I spent a little time online this afternoon and found some beautiful photos of the Vernal Equinox 2018.  As I type I am watching as the caretakers of the lawn finish up working today.  They tend the flowers and blow away cobwebs and debris.  They tillthe flower bed and replant plants that did not make it through the rains of last fall.  A fitting first day of spring having a spruced up yard and tending of the earth.

It is such a beautiful day that I delayed going to an afternoon movie.  It will be a grey and rainy day soon and I will go back to the theater.  I am going to watch another movie today on the big screen TV at the house.  Three Billboards Outside Ebbing!  Looking forward to seeing Frances McDormand and Woody Harrelson.  Shoot I am just looking forward to seeing the Oscar nominated movies!  I am still a little giddy to be in a big city and walking to the movies any day I want!

Jackie and I will be walking to supper tonight at the Backstreet Cafe.  We will enjoy the soft lovely spring light.  It will be noticed that we are not walking home in the dark.  The warmth of the day will still be present and much appreciated.  We will toast to spring, to rebirth, to friendship and to what is next!  All while basking in the last hours of sunlight on the first day of spring. 


Comments