Skip to main content

Today is Sasha's Birthday!

Forty-four years ago today Sasha Christine Sappanos came into this world, and she was right on time!  I remember, who can ever forget, that first moment that I saw her.  It was a complete "Hello Sasha",  I am so glad that you are here in the world and picked up to be your parents.  Sasha was born in a mostly unused delivery room at Viroqua Memorial Hospital,  the other two delivery rooms were in use when Sasha decided now was her time, and I was absolutely ready for her to make her entrance.  There were seven babies born that afternoon, all of them were boys except Sasha.

For many years Sasha's birthday was the most important birthday of the year for me.  That Sasha had grown and changed and made it one more year was an incredible joy and somewhat of relief that I had somehow managed to keep her alive! 

When I woke up today I texted and left a voicemail, singing happy birthday very offkey but with a lot of love.  Sasha was working at the hospital and in a meeting, but we sent texts back and forth as she was able.  We talked on the phone at just about the exact entry time.  Happy Birthday Sasha.  you are such an incredible woman.  The world is a better place with you in it. 

It was unplanned but fitting that last night I watched "Lady Bird".   Such a well done movie, and such a coming of age story.  Mothers and daughters, relating to myself as the Mom and Sasha's coming of age,  my own coming of age, and now Myah's coming of age where Sasha is the Mother.  The pain and complexity of moving into adulthood, the love and terror of letting go, supporting and condoning and not knowing.  The movie so much revealed the gulf that exists and the desire and need to bridge it.   I really liked the movie, and it was not until it was done that I thought about the significance of watching it the day before Sasha's birthday.  It is unfortunate that "Lady Bird" did not receive any oscars, it is Oscar worthy. 

I don't know what the next movie will be that I watch, but I know I will be watching one again on Monday.  For the weekend I am devoting myself to women's basketball, watching on TV and on my iPad.  Minnesota won today and Maine will play tomorrow! 

I am still on vacation.


Comments