Skip to main content

It's a Vacation Day

I am really enjoying being on vacation.  I hadn't really thought about this trip as a vacation.  Being retired for the past year, it is not always clear what is and is not vacationing.  Going away on a train, ending up out of snow land, and not having many daily responsibilities seems to be vacationing.

This morning I spent quite a lot of time filling out my women's basketball tournament brackets.  I joined several groups this year and have four different teams winning the tournament!  Who says Connecticut can't be beat!  I loved mulling over each game, examining the statistics and deciding to go with a surprise win or the more predictable.  I did some of each while completing four different brackets.  Tomorrow the fun begins and I am going to have quite a bit of basketball viewing time.

I did go out several times today for walks and managed to NOT take any pictures of flowers.  It was a warm and sunny day and I enjoyed roaming around the neighborhood.  There are not a lot of people who are walking around.  It is a car driving neighborhood with lots of Porsche's, BMW's, a few Ford's and some big big trucks.  People drive wildly here and I am steeling my courage to get behind the wheel soon.  Right now it seems like Uber and  bus lines make more sense than taking my life in hands and driving around.  It has been harrowing enough just being a rider!  But about people,  there are many yard men who are mowing and blowing and sometimes on their knees digging in the dirt.  There are a few nannies who are walking their charges in buggies or strollers.  The Kroger grocery has an interesting mix of people who are shopping during the day.  Houston is a place where most people are genuinely friendly and people often acknowledge you and say hello even though it is a very large city.

This afternoon I was able to Skype with my dear friend Serafina.  She is in Sicily. We talked, had a good visit and I enjoyed being able to be with her as she ate her supper and I drank my favorite mineral water. Top Chico.  We have been friends for over 40 years and today we both acknowledged that we felt like sisters, and it rang so very true. Such a wonderfully unexpected gift that went along with a very fine visit.  Sister love across the ocean.

Back in Houston I am so glad to be able to spend time with my friend Jackie.  She too is a friend that I met in Madison in the mid-seventies when I began college.  We had a number of years that we did not connect and Serafina was the thread that kept us connecting and at times meeting in the same place.  It was basketball that brought us back to spending more time with each.  Several Final Four's, a few Regional's, a Lynx game and a tour of the Lynx facilities are some of the basketball memories we have together.  Jackie and I share the love of women's basketball and we will be doing some good basketball watching this weekend.  The weather is cooperating for the basketball marathon watching it is supposed to rain most of the weekend!

To cap off the day movie #2 of the week:  Lady Bird!  I'll tell you what I thought tomorrow. I will still be on vacation!

Comments

Jaime said…
Enjoy your vacation!
Jaime said…
Enjoy your vacation!
Unknown said…
Love reading your about your joy in discovery, vacationing and fun! I am still loving the winter up here, but happy you have found some warm green spaces down there. Enjoy and keep on writing!