Skip to main content

Driving in Houston Searching for Postcards

I started my morning browsing on FB and found a post by Madison friend Lynn linking to an Atlantic article  that included a video with incredible water colors and pastels by Jeff Scher and vocals by Joan Baez performing, "The President Sang Amazing Grace"  .  I opened up the video and listened and watched the video and I hope the you will to - I linked it for you!  Such a sad and powerful song, such a poignant moment in our history.  What a important work of art capturing  the violence and horror of a young man opening fire and a President comforting us all as he sweetly sang through our collective grief and loss.   I was reluctant to blog about this, it is not easy to be reminded of those mass murders but all day I kept hearing the song in my head, remembering what it felt like to hear my President singing Amazing Grace in that church.  The weight of racial injustice, such senseless loss.  And our President softly singing to us, comforting a nation and shouldering the burden.  

It was a slow starting day.  I knew that I wanted to get a few errands done before the rains started, but a phone call with grand daughter Myah was my important "to do".  We talked late morning and it was wide ranging and fun.  We laughed about our trip to New Orleans, talked about college decisions, and things to do while still waiting to hear from admission departments!  Such a mixture of pressure,  possibility and growth as Myah get ready to graduate from high school and move onto college.  I am a proud G-MA and feel such joy in being able to help support her in her journey.

I realized that I needed to get out of house if I was hoping to beat the rain, and decided that this afternoon was the time for me to drive the CAR.  I have been walking,  taking UBER, being driven by friends all avoiding the Houston streets.  I figured I was only going around the neighborhood and today was the day.   I did it.  Went to post office to buy postcards,  they didn't have any and sent me to another post office,  I drove a few more miles away.  Waiting in a long line, and found out that they did not have postcards either.  The clerk smiled at me when she said, "they are kind of like the dinosaurs" of course my thought was "like me"!   I was on a quest for postcards because on April 1st I thought I needed to mail a postcard to The Lost Kitchen to enter a "lottery" of sorts to get a reservation to dine in 2018!  I was feeling very disappointed that I couldn't find postcards, but when getting back home I realized they want a 3 x 5 card that gets put in an envelope!  They must have already heard the dinosaur postcard!   So I am ready with envelope, stamp and 3 x 5 card  to take a chance to dine in this magical place!  Wish me luck.

Besides riding around trying to find post offices that had postcards I went back to the grocery,  I had a car so I could get a few "heavy" things that were too hard to carry home on my walks to the store.  I used great restraint but did get a few things for the next couple of day along with bottles of water and a 6 pack of beer!  (a Cream Ale from New Orleans)

The rest of the afternoon was spent watching The Orient Express
click the link if you would like to see the trailer,  it was perfect for a rainy afternoon, where the phone kept notifying me of storm warnings and possible tornadoes.  I loved the train, the scenery, the pace and acting was a tired but the story is classic and it was a movie on my list!

It is midweek but I am aware that I am thinking about the weekend, Easter Dinner,  and being on the train next Wednesday.  Next week at this time I will be back on the train, The Sunset, heading west.  Jackie will be returning home on Friday.  Tomorrow I get serious about menu planning for Easter Dinner.  We will be brining Jackie's Mom to the house and another friend may come as well.  We are having Lamb Crown Roast -- and the rest of the menu is still in the planning stages.  I think there will be some freshly baked homemade rolls, maybe a dessert from an amazing bakery, and there will be eggs!  Egg decorating is in my near future.

It was a good day.  Time with Myah,  successful  drive,  movie time  and gentle rain.  Wednesday on vacation!

 

Comments