Skip to main content

Hello Molly Ivins

Just announced we are in the great state of Texas!  Already things are bigger, there is a lot of space in this state.  The first thing I noticed is that through most of the ride in Louisiana the yards and outdoor areas were all so incredibly neat.  Over and over again I saw as we passed along town after town these neat cared for yards.  No matter what kind of house or store or building it was neat, we crossed into Texas and it just changed.

Beaumont is the next stop, not quite sure how long until we get there, but they made an announcement.  In less than three hours I will be in Houston.  That is where the azaleas are blooming, I missed them last year, and the rest of the spring flowers will be everywhere before I leave.

Today I brought along several Millinocket folks with me:  Anita Mueller the great birder- I saw so many birds this morning water birds, falcons, pelicans, many I couldn’t name but fun to see.  I woke up to birds singing in New Orleans and have enjoyed seeing them all along the trip today!  Tony Moscone the observation car is great!  Bob Fanjoy, I wonder what you would say about the woods I have seen along the gulf coast.  With each hour there is more green. I feel a little like I stepped through the looking glasses it is so different than the white blanket of snow back home.

Today’s lunch was with Michael.  He lives outside of Deming NM in a monastic community and has for over 29 years.  Two times a year he takes the train to New Orleans to teach Mindfulness classes and facilitate retreat.  He was a cop, don’t know where, and it didn’t agree with him.  He somehow found his way to this spiritual community.  Fascinating person and a truly enjoyable lunch.  Reminded me that this is like a pilgrimage for me, I have set my intentions and being open to what each day will bring.  Outside of my train and plane tickets and Myah’s graduation there are no plans! I have ideas and things I hope to do, but it is an adventure.  I am now in Texas, and I leave you with a poignant quote by Molly Ivins, “I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag,”

And just a little more reality check from Molly, “ What we have here, fellow citizens, is a crassly egocentric raving twit.” .  The train whistle is blowing, cars and trucks are waiting and I just saw over 20 White Herons all watching the train go by.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy travels and happy birding!