Skip to main content

Walking Around the Neighborhood

I am still in awe that I get to walk outside without a coat and that flowers are blooming everywhere!  March in Houston looks a lot different than March in Maine!  I like that I am  being curious about my days and that I am allowing space to just be.  For the second morning I woke up and made my favorite tea and read the Houston paper.  Well, I would say that I browsed through the headlines and spent the most amount of time doing the Sudoku puzzle!  Then a NY Times and Bangor Daily News check in...that was the extent of my news today.  I am a little more unplugged than at home.  Today I like that feeling. 

My big plan for today was walking to the movies.  The River Oaks theater is an old Art Deco building,  there was an attempt to tear it down, but the neighborhood banded together and successfully stopped the demolition.  The inside has many of the original features, and the upgrades are all Art Deco.  I loved the old posters, the bar upstairs and great carpeting.  There were about 6 of us in the theater at 1 pm this afternoon.  It was the first time that I have been at the movies  since last spring.  I have been missing just deciding to go see a movie and growing a little antsy about just watching movies at home.  It is not the same.  I like the big screen, I like being there with other people, and I like the feeling of being away from it all while sitting in the dark no matter what day or what time. 

I saw the Shape of Water, I knew that this was a movie that you went to the theater to see and it was.  Such characters,  incredible use of special effects, such intensity.  I didn't really know anything about the plot and at first I was wondering where was it all going and then before I knew it I was so pulled into what was happening on the screen.  At some point I realized I was literally on the edge of my seat.  I was one happy woman just enjoying an afternoon at the movies and was so glad to see such a good film.  Then when the movie ended I got to walk outside in brilliant sunlight and 70 degrees.  Oh my, that was like being in a movie myself. 

Day two in Houston was pretty darn good.  I walked to the movies, I walked around the neighborhood and walked with my friend Jackie when she came home from work.  It was a good day, I feel like I am on vacation.  I am looking forward to what vacation looks like tomorrow. But for know I am smiling and happy and loving that I get to smell the flowers.

Comments