Skip to main content

Peacock in the Desert

What a beautiful day it was today in Houston.  I woke up still thinking about "Three Billboards..." and what happens when we make anger our home.  So hard to find your way out of the depths and self righteousness that comes along with anger.  So easy to to objectify everything, lose our humanity.  I believe that the arts do play a pivotal role in helping us to examine our world, who we are in it, and show us parts of ourselves that we would never see if we had not seen a play, read a book, gone to a movie, looked at a piece of art, studied a photograph.  So it was poignant and wonderful that I had an adventure in the arts and culture today.

I started out late this morning, getting an Uber and was planning to go to the Rienzi House, which is part of the Museum of Fine Arts System.  I wanted to stroll through the gardens and take in the beauty of the house and the collection.  I plugged in the address, the Uber arrived and after a few errant turns we were at the address.  It in no way looked like it was a public place,  the driver made some jokes about who I knew as we were in the same neighborhood where Bush #1 resides.  The houses were majestic, and I had no idea where I was.  The driver then went to the phone plugged in Riennzi, and he chalked it up to me putting the wrong address in... off we went, back just the way we came, and after a few minutes I was dropped up in the Museum District.   I had on the way there found the website and assured him that I had the correct address, but rather than try to navigate what did not make sense the first time, I was fine to be at another building in the Fine Arts complex.

I walked in to the Caroline Wiess Law Building.  Thursday was "free" day, I got my little sticker and walked up a few stairs and was in the world of Jodpur, India.  I spent a month in India in 2000.  I was on Pilgrimage and it was one of the most amazing times of my life, I loved being in India, and understood how people just decide to stay there.  So here I was in this amazingly huge room with videos going on two walls, and I was transported.  I walked through a few galleries that were off of this big space, and found myself at the beginning of a special exhibit.  Peacock in the Desert:  The Royal Arts of Jodhpur, India.  I paid the admission (I got a senior discount) and picked up my audio device and off I went to India.  So wonderful, I listened to all the audio descriptions and stories, I sat and just took each room in, and I watched a film that was fascinating and helped to even better understand what I was seeing.  One of things that I loved the most while in India were the colors, they blasted you, took you out of a comfort zone, there was not a subtle color to be seen,  and color was everywhere on everything.  This exhibit did not blast out your eyes, it did show you the amazing intricacy and range of color whether in the watercolor paintings or the fabric or the murals or the tents.  The exhibit had the only Mogul royalty tent that exists today.  I wanted to just stay and look.

The exhibit talked about the separated lives of men and women, however time after time it was made clear that the lives of the women were full and that they were benefactors of the arts and that the life in the women's quarters was diverse and rewarding.  In viewing this exhibit I was more struck by the deep connection to Hindu tradition, to the connection of daily living and devotion.  Devotion was a work and feeling that kept coming up for me the entire time I was in India, it is palpable and contagious.  I liked being swept away to Jodhpur for afternoon.

After India, I looked at pieces in the Native American gallery. 


I enjoyed the room and especially the tapestries.  When leaving this area you move into a light exhibit, the space all dark except for varied colors and types of lighting and when you find yourself at the other end you are in a new building.  By then I knew that I had taken in enough "art" for one day.

Off into the urban concrete and lots of cars world of Houston, I waited for a pick up and back to the house. It was a good day.  Have a new pair of glasses which I will reveal at a later date.  I did round 2 of shopping for options to deal with my itchy ankles from the still unknown insects that have taken a liking to my ankles!

When Jackie got home from work we went to a neighborhood Chinese restaurant,  Moo Shu Pork,   Hot and Sour soup. dumplings, green tea and I am full up for the day.

Full of culture, full of art, full of good comfort food and my visiting urban life!

Comments