Skip to main content

Final Four Friday

I have to say at the end of this week, I am happy, grateful and feeling good.    I am very aware that it is Passover and Good Friday and both of these traditions have held big spaces in my life and have helped to shape me into who I am today.  And what about today?  I spent all morning on my genealogy search,  I have never spent this amount of time doing research on my family lineage.  I have family linked to 17 states and three countries (Canada, Germany, England) so far!  I have been in appreciation and awe of the names of the women:   Mary Emma, Alta Effa, Mary Thelma, Stella Grace, Drysilla, Rosanna, Alice, Joyce Colleen, and the best Pearl Sunshine!  Not one of them except Joyce Colleen went past 8th grade even if they went to school at all!  Many had more than 10 children, most were wives and homemakers,  some servants, one was a dressmaker!  The more time I spend the more excited I am to get my DNA results.  Who knew that part of traveling would be my travels back, creating my family tree and tracing my generations.

The other big thing about this Friday,  the start of the Final Four.  Last year I was in  Dallas, watching Mississippi State beat Connecticut, South Carolina beat Stanford.  This year I am watching all four of the #1 seeds playing in Columbus, Ohio.  I love women's basketball,  I love the women's game.  It is so wonderful to see how this game has matured, let's just remember that when I was in high school and early college age, they were still playing three dribbles and half court basketball.  I remember at UW the discussion of not doing weight lifting, that there still was this concern about being a "lady".  Now it is no holds bared.  These women are stellar athletes.

It is Friday,  Final Four Friday and my last Friday in Texas! 

Comments