Skip to main content

Millinocket Library Meeting and Flash Flood Warning

Tuesday is the day of our Operations Committee at the Millinocket Memorial Library.  So I was up and about and ready for my "Skype Hook Up" at 8:30 this morning.  I had my materials all lined up on my desktop, agenda open and a big cup of Earl Grey Tea ready to drink.  I knew before I moved full time to Millinocket that I wanted to volunteer at the library.  I didn't know how important that work and the library would be in making Millinocket my new home.  So when I told folks that I would be gone for almost three months,  I did make it clear that I was wanting to continue to do whatever work I could do while I was on my spring adventure.  So every other week on Tuesday morning I get to virtually connect with my library team!  Everyone is working very hard and we are doing all that we can to help make sure that the operations of the library is as much a part of the Future Library Project as the physical remodeling and redesigns.  Such fine and inspiring work.  I am glad to be able to have a small  part of helping move things forward whether I am in Millinocket or Texas.

After the meeting I sat down to do a little tasks.  I spent time writing to my daughter,  preparing my check for taxes owed and returning a few phone calls.  Then off to the post office and the grocery!  Of course I wanted to buy a few postcards and forgot,  so I will go back to the post office tomorrow.   On the way back from the Kroger Store I got warning on phone of flash flood warnings over the next 24-48 hours.  The news says that most likely there will be street flooding and as I write there is no rain yet, but the humidity is rising and the skies are darkening and rain will be happening soon but has not started yet!

My afternoon was spent making a few phone calls.  I had a great talk with Sasha as she was driving home from work.  They are in the throws of college acceptances, rejections, and waiting lists.  All I can do is just keep letting them (daughter and grand daughter) know how great they are, how to move forward after disappointments and that this will all work out!  And that I love them fiercely. 

After my c sweet, big hearted call with my daughter I talked with my cousin Patsy.  I am the only one that gets away with calling her Patsy!  She was my "instant cousin" when I was going into third grade and moved to Rockdale, Illinois.  This move happened  after my Mother married Patsy's uncle Ralph.  Patsy was two years older and she without fail just made a big amount of room in her life for this new cousin, me!  We shared a few stories from our grade school days and we laughed  hard and for a very long time.  We shared stories of our recnt days and her recent time with Sasha.  It was a big, fun phone call and we both hung up feeling lighter, connected and much loved.

A easy, slow day in Texas that ended with Lemon Garlic Gulf Shrimp, a green salad and cottage cheese!  A glass of white wine.

Tomorrow it is back to the post office to get the postcards that I forgot to buy.  Maybe picking up my new glasses.   Most importantly I am hopeful that there will be no street floods in my neighborhood, that the rains are gentle, intermittent, and pass out of the area soon. 

Comments