Skip to main content

Alma Latino's Lesbian Celebration

It was just another monthly Monday Happy Hour at Alma Latino's. a small Mexican Neighborhood Restaurant and Bar.  They host the Lesbians Over Fifty Social Group Monthly.  The cars pull in, many with a handicap sticker hanging from the rear view mirror.  Some in this group have been meeting together for over 30 years, some have been friends for over 50 years, and there are newcomers as well.   I was told Alma's have the best margaritas in town.  How could I say anything but YES when Scotty and Janice said they would drive by and pick me up.
At today's gathering there was a birthday cake,  celebrating 83 years.  There was a nephew and daughter who was visiting an Aunt.  Then there was me the long distance member of this long time social group of lesbians.


I asked Janice and Scotty about how and when they met,  and found out that they will be celebrating their 50th Anniversary this fall.  I told them I would come to the celebration, and I will.  Janice was pooh poohing making a deal of it, and the rest of us at the table were saying we need you to celebrate!  Fifty years together, lesbian history in the making.  I listened as Janice and Scotty adding her commentary,  talked about how they met,  softball was a big piece of that, and their lives together.  The years of vacations in their RV, going to every state.  Scotty a PT teacher and Janice a mail carrier.  They have had many "scotty" dogs, and have a new puppy.  Scotty has been retired over 30 years and Janice 19.   How good for me still trying to get the feel of retirement watching, listening and learning from these well seasoned retirees. 

Each woman there today had a story, when they came out,  lovers they have lost, how you live as a widow, partners in hospice right now.   Stories of family, of taking care of them, of being cared for.  Now there was time to just take care, to make time to be with each other.  There were almost twenty of us this afternoon,  Janice says sometimes there are only 5 or 6, they never know who will show up, but show up they do.  The connection and care is palpable,  the hospitality is genuine and flowing.  Times have not always been kind to these lesbians, they know what it is like to be hidden, to make hard choices,  to not only be loved but to be discriminated against.  And yet here they are a bunch of old lesbians smiling, welcoming, giving kisses and hugs to the wait staff.  They were all being out there, just being out for the afternoon. 

It  felt like such a privilege to be able to be with these women.  I loved their stories, I liked sharing some of mine.  I felt the kinship and the feeling of family.

My margarita was good,  I had a blood orange margarita. My food was good, tacos with beans and rice.  The hibiscus water was refreshing.  The company, the history, the connections even better. 

Comments