Skip to main content

Monday Early Morning - The Elk and the Bird Feeder.

Sometime after midnight I got up to go to the bathroom and when I went back into the bedroom the motion light went on and there on the cabin side of the fence was one big Elk,  my eyes adjusted and all of a sudden a could see a few more on the other side of the fence.  Then the Elk walked towards the window and headed right to the bird feeder that is just outside my window.  The motion light would go on and off and the Elk were unfazed.  When the light went off I would turn on my flashlight and watch more closely what was happening right before my eyes.  I only have my I-Phone for photo's and it is not good at zooming or adjustment to dark, but here are a few pic, not good but you get the idea of the Elk and Bird Feeder. 


For the next hour I watched this Elk and then would scan the area to see if I could find any more Elk just hanging around.  I only saw the three, but they were having a fine time eating the alfalfa pellets and browsing in the moonlight.  At times I kept the flashlight off, and just let my eyes adjust and I could see them all moving around.  Finally, I realized they may be here for the duration and I needed some sleep. 

What a sight an entire herd earlier in the night and then the brave and adventuresome trio.  I really wanted to see the Elk jump back over the fence but he sauntered west and didn't look at all like he was going to take a leap, and I put my glasses and flashlight on the ledge and went back to sleep.

We have just finished a lovely supper with friends of Cindy's who I had met last Wednesday and as the sky was turning pink and purple I went out with some more compost and alfalfa pellets and threw them out for the evening feast.  The crows are not here this time,  I think they know that the Elk are coming.  Everything is very still and very quiet. 

Besides the display on the ground there will be an even more extraordinary display in the sky, the Lyrid Meteor shower is at its peak,  the sky is crystal clear and the stars will be so very bright tonight.

Tomorrow is the LaPosada Hotel day and life in Winslow Arizona.  I am excited and ready.  I need to get a little more sleep tonight but how can you miss the late show with Arizona Elk,  Grey Fox and who knows what else.  There have been no Javelina sightings yet! 

It is still light, but I have the flashlight and binoculars ready.  I am sure enjoying my time in Happy Jack, Arizona!  Good Monday to you all.  Oh yes, it is a new week! 

Comments