Skip to main content

Travel Transitions Back to the Urban Oasis, but first....




You have been hearing about the Elk since my first sighting last Saturday night, but no pictures.  The Elk came late dusk or early dark, and my little I-Phone could not do the trick.  Last night there was a brief sighting,  the moon was bright and high, and there were no Elk later in the evening, and the motion lights never woke me in the night.  But, early this morning I woke up went to the bathroom an when I walked back into the bedroom (it was light out)  there was one BIG elk.  I grabbed my phone and sat quietly on the bed looking out the window, then there was another and then I realized there were several other Elk on my side of the fence....I was so excited to be able to get a picture!  Then there they were coming over to get a drink and then they walked right to the bird feeder that I could almost touch from the window!  I was so happy.  Please check out the video of the "Bird Feeder Scene".  I watched them for about a half an hour or more, then they moseyed off toward the west.

I have never been that up close to Elk before,  they are like gazele's as they jumped back over the fence, their mottled coats as they are shedding their winter coat.  I liked that they felt so safe, there were times when we would both be looking at each other.  I was so quiet that I cold hardly breathe.  They would look and look and then casually resume their munching away!

After the Elk, it was time to pack.  Clothes,  food, making sure all was well in the cabin as we headed back to Phoenix.  We had taken Bush Road to the BeeLine on the way up, and we were going towards Camp Verde and Interstate 17 on the way home. 

We left the cabin at 12:30, the drive was amazing, there was vista after vista after vista - so incredible expansive.  We started at 7,493 altitude and at times we were going down fast.  It was a hazy day and there was smoke from the fires to the north and west. 

The traffic picked up early on, an we just sped along the highway toward the valley.  Phoenix is hot, felt like big time heat as I opened the door to the car.  96 degrees and air quality advisories.  No longer in the high desert mountains, on the valley floor and it is heated up!

I am grateful for my time up north.  A very different "up north" than in Minnesota or Maine but a treat for sure.  My gears are shifting,  time in Phoenix with friends and then off to Tucson to see old Madison buddies, hike in Sabino Canyon,  visit the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, walk the historic district and eat great Mexican food!  My time in Arizona is winding down.  In 14 days I will be in Minnesota and on June 2nd I will land in Bangor and head home to Millinocket.  I have never been on a trip this long since I was 19 years old!  And I was in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California for that adventure oh so long ago!

I have met such interesting and open hearted people on this trip.  I have been welcomed and shown such incredible generosity and care.  I have had great food,  really provocative and interesting discussions.  I have seen great art that has touched my soul, and moved my mind.  I have gotten a good urban dose as well as wilderness time.  I have ideas about next spring and what that might look like!  And I have a yearning for my family and a big yearning and anticipation for being back home in Millinocket. 

I feel the transitions,  they have not always been easy for me, but I am taking my transitions of this trip in stride, have a little more patience and a lot more just being present. 

It is Thursday, it is hot in desert and there are signs of spring everywhere.  Transitions abound.



Comments