Skip to main content

Wednesday and Leaving Winslow

A few visual moments from La Posada and my kiss on the corner as we were leaving Winslow, Arizona

A








Wednesday started out cool and sunny.  The trains come regularly at the back of  the grounds, there are over 100 trains that travel through Winslow each day, many carrying over 100 cars.  I liked the whistle an the clickety clack in the background.  I had the Dollar Pancake Special at breakfast and a Chai Latte!  It was very good,  and I love he place mats, replica's of what was used in the 30's and 40's in the restaurant.  I am a very visual person and I was just humming internally as every where I look at LaPosada it is beautiful.    After breakfast, I went out to the sunken garden and wrote a letter to Myah.  Myah is 18 today, it is such a gift to have an 18 year old grand daughter.  I got some stationery and an envelope from the front desk and wrote Myah a letter, I talked about getting the call, and driving to Burlington and getting on the plane and landing in Minneapolis, and being there when she came into the world.  I wanted her to hear the story again, and to remind her of who much love there was for her the moment she arrived.  We talked later in the day and had a great talk, an extra special birthday present was that Myah got accepted into American University today.  She has 100% decided to go to Loyola University but it is great that she was accepted at AU.  I am sure that she will be in DC someday, but Loyola is the perfect school for her and for what she wants to study!  I am most definitely a proud proud bursting with Love Gramma today!

 So this morning I was enveloped in the comfort and care of LaPosada and feeling much love for my family in Minnesota and for Myah especially on her 18th Birthday.  After lounging in the shade writing Myah's letter, I went back to the front desk to mail my letter.  Then I toured the hallways upstairs, many of the rooms are named after special guests who stayed there,  I found Amelia Earhart's room and they had just finished cleaning it so I got to go in,  I know that that room is probably not exactly where she stayed but I loved imagining her at the hotel and wondered if she felt as cared for and relaxed as I was feeling this morning. 

The galleries of Tina Mion are spectacular,  she does very provocative work, the painting of Jackie Kennedy is a part of her Presidents and their wives work which is extraordinary,  the Jackie painting is a part of the Smithsonian collection. 

I am aware that the Arizona teachers are going out on strike tomorrow, there was a protest today,  teachers and supporters lined the streets for 40 mitles going into Phoenix, the largest state capitol.    A republican also won the special election but there is angst as the woman who won represents the far right wing of the republican party and many people here feel that democrats will get elected in Arizona in the November election.  There is hope and momentum along with the distress and worry!

Check out time was noon and we stayed until the last minute!  Then another swing to "the corner"  and back to "Happy Jack", 2000 feet higher altitude and a little cooler!  A long luxurious nap,  a little more connecting with Myah and Sasha!  Then off to dinner at Bryan, Julie and Nana's...yum  good food and then Bryan played his guitar and song some of his songs and then off to feel the Elk.

As I write it is dark, the lights are out in the cabin, and the Elk are munching away outside.  I stood outside for awhile listening and watching, they are loud eaters!   It has been a treat to watch these majestic animals.  And I am ready to go back to the valley.

I get to stay at the Valley Oasis, visit with Jen and Karen, and maybe the pool is ready for a dip.  What a fine time I have had in this part of Arizona.  I get a few days back in the valley and then off to Tuscon.   I can't even quite imagine that part of the my trip, but I am sure sometime over the weekend I will start the gears shifting and connect with my Madison friends about a rendezvous in their southwest home.

It is very easy to go to bed very early here.  8 pm  and I am ready to rest my head,  so many sight, so many things to take in, to think about.  It is Wednesday and I am still on my very very long vacation and I am still blogging away!


Comments