Skip to main content

Monday, Monday


It is Monday, it is hot and humid and the last Monday I will be in Houston,  so I linked us to the Mama's and the Papa's singing Monday, Monday .  

I have to say I have loved finding songs to go along with my blogs,  each one sends me back to places in the past that seem so fitting for right now!    I have moved to my Airbnb for the rest of my stay in Houston,  I was in need of a cat free environment, and find myself in the Montrose/Midtown area which was and still is the hub of the gay hood!  I love walking around and seeing all of the rainbow flags in the front of businesses.  I am less than 2 miles from the Amtrak Station that I will go to on Wednesday afternoon.

Today I mailed a big box home to Millinocket, it has treasures from the auction on Saturday and some things that I realized I didn't need to have with me for the rest of the trip.  I also mailed a small box to Arizona that will be at the condo when I arrive late on Thursday night!

There is Jasmine all around the fence of the townhouse I am staying in for the next few days.  You open the door and the jasmine smell is everywhere!

Monday is not only for singing, but for the LOAF happy hour at Alma Latina it was the second week in a row that I got to go to the old lesbian happy hour,  I am just saying that being an old lesbian is not such a bad thing to be!  Today we celebrated Arden and Catherine's birthdays, 86 and 78 Just think about that,  these are our trail blazers, and it has been so very special to spend time and to be able to hear their stories and appreciate how it is that these women could be who they are in a world that was far less accepting and knowledgeable than today.  Arden was a most dedicated follower of the Houston Comet's she had rooms in her house that could more be called a shrine to the Comets.  In the past couple of years she has donated much of her memorabilia to the WNBA Hall of Fame.

I loved talking about the Comets with these Houston women, and shared my admiration and love of the Minnesota Lynx.  Basketball, softball, these were the places that women were able to be together, to appreciate each other.  It has been fun to hear these women talk about their days as young women, young athletes, young lesbians,

I have so appreciated the way that these women have allowed me into their sweet little long lasting community.  It has felt like home, and I am grateful.

So I gratefully appreciate this last Monday of my time in Texas.  I can feel the shifting happening as I begin to transition to my next place.  The warm, slightly humid weather of Houston has been a very soft landing from the cold, almost brutal and relentless winter weather of Maine. I have appreciated being in the comfort of Houston and looking forward to the desert and majesty of Arizona.  I hope you have had a good Monday and a fine start to the week!



Comments